seed experiment- outdoor monday

I came across this experiment is an old handout from my teaching days, the little ladies thought it would be fun to try.

Gather:

clean sock
newspaper
long piece of yarn (about 5ft.)
2 TBS oil (canola, vegetable, etc)
1/2 cup water
food coloring (optional)
jar

Set up:

1. Add water to jar.
2. Add oil ***not exactly sure what the purpose of the oil is, it might keep the sock from drying out quickly.
3. Drop a few drops of food coloring into the oil. This is optional, it just makes the sock look pretty.

4. Take the clean sock and stuff it with newspaper, tie it closed with the yarn. It will look like a pull toy- you could add eyes and long ears to it and call it Fido if you want  ;) .

5. Take the sock for a walk in a field or woodland.

As you probably figured out, the point of the sock dragging along the ground is for little seeds to stick to it; well, the little ladies weren’t finding the seeds sticking on their socks, so Rainy started throwing it into the thistle patch hoping for seeds to stick.

She even got to the point where she was sprinkling seeds onto the sock. I think this experiment would have worked better if Dave hadn’t just mowed the path.

Grass and thistle seed collection picked along the way-

6. When your sock has gathered enough seeds, carefully place the sock into the jar of the water/oil mixture.

7. Set it in a sunny window and keep the sock moist. Don’t overdo it with the water, you just want the sock to be moist or it could get moldy. It might take a few weeks for the seeds to germinate, be patient and make sure the sock stays moist.

If you are participating in Outdoor Challenge Mondays, be sure your blog link is below; if you still want to participate let me know and I’ll add you to the list.

5 orange potatoes, the five of us, little eco footprints, potje thee, silverpebble, the work of childhood, searching simplicity, love living simply, strasilo, semi-handmade, this little kitchen, school time adventures, heirloom seasons, the loving path, a place like this, the magnifying glass, pebbles in the water, chocolate eyes, we are here, rosy-posy, oakbee farm, my year in haiku, time to craft, child in harmony, serendipity, secret water, free flowing ways, se7en, a smile a day, where ada likes to wander, wide open campus, what are we doing today mom?, chasing domestic bliss, dim sum, bagels and crawfish, adventures of a flake, frontier dreams, the snail’s trail, goose and binky, over the crescent moon, it’s a wild life, my world edenwild, the binker files, lil muse lily, foursquare schoolhouse, obaitori, boys in the woods, bumbles and light , wonder in the woods, terrallectualism, semi-crunchy mama, Gwynneth, All Things Beautiful, we are here, shivaya naturals, free to learn and lovin it, moment to moment, being brooke, roots & wings co, little greenapple farm, 5 Orange Perks, home made simple, mommy and me

“That’s all.”

• August 1, 2010 - 9:26 pm | Permalink

We have done this, but we wore the socks on the outside of our shoes instead of dragging them. The kids walked through a field, and then we took off the socks and planted them in an old lazagna pan… it was neat to see what came up… esp considering we left them on the patio until spring and even MORE came up in the spring. It was a cool experiment. :)

Val

• July 2, 2010 - 10:30 am | Permalink

What a cool experiment! That is going on the must do list for next week

• June 30, 2010 - 5:39 pm | Permalink

I have seen this done before, but never have done it. Looks like fun. Did you decide not to do the Nature Swap?

• June 30, 2010 - 9:27 am | Permalink

I’ve seen this experiment before but the kids actually wore the socks! I was kind of leery of doing that ’cause I wouldn’t want Benjamin stepping on something sharp or worse yet-a snake! LOL

I like the pull-doggie idea better!

As for outdoor monday…I’ll link to my Great American Backyard Campout post over at Leaping Greenly Spirits:

• June 30, 2010 - 2:11 am | Permalink
  • June 29, 2010 - 9:02 pm | Permalink

Maybe the reason that this makes no sense to me is because of the wine I’ve been drinking ;0)

• June 29, 2010 - 4:05 pm | Permalink

~aaahhh…wish i would have seen this before leaving last week for camping…would have been great fun to do but there will always be another…guess know we could just start in teh yard! l♥ve this…warm wishes and brightest blessings~

• June 29, 2010 - 9:56 am | Permalink

definitely giving a whirl – thanks!

• June 29, 2010 - 8:52 am | Permalink

LOVE this idea! Thanks for posting :)

• June 29, 2010 - 7:46 am | Permalink

a hahah. You had me laughing…the girls look so cute pulling those socks along. Looks like a great experiment…will you be giving us an update eventually? Or maybe we’ll just try it ourselves ;)

• June 29, 2010 - 6:53 am | Permalink

Looking forward to seeing the results of the seed experiment in a future blog! :)
    Our major outdoor adventure this week was whale watching. The hump backs and southern rights are making their migration north from Antarctica to give birth in warmer waters.

• June 29, 2010 - 5:26 am | Permalink

Oh my! My children would love to do this. I have a feeling that they would be dragging it around all day and they probably would call it Fido! Another great idea to add to my list. Thanks for sharing.

We have been outside, but I need to speed up my shutter speed. The children are moving too fast for photos. Managed to catch one on Saturday. Its easier to photo the wildlife around here. Will try better next week!

• June 29, 2010 - 3:13 am | Permalink

What a great little experiment!! I just try this with my daughter… actually I’m sure all 3 of my kids would love to drag a sock around through our fields LOL.

We’ve had a lovely week of outdoor fun but I think the absolute highlight of our week was having a picnic by our pond :) We packed up the pick up truck with our tables & chairs and had a grand time.

Have a lovely nature filled week :)

• June 29, 2010 - 12:19 am | Permalink

I am also participating and would love to make this a challenge every week…thanks for having us…Mica

• June 29, 2010 - 12:12 am | Permalink

That’s cool. I love the colors in the jar…. they made a sock really look good…Mica/The Child’s Paper

• June 29, 2010 - 12:04 am | Permalink

Looks like such a fun project!

• June 28, 2010 - 11:56 pm | Permalink
  • June 28, 2010 - 11:48 pm | Permalink

I love that she threw it into the thistle patch. She’s a clever impatient soul — a girl after my own heart!

• June 28, 2010 - 11:19 pm | Permalink

This is such a cool idea! I’ve got to remember this one!
    We enjoyed some outdoor art, and my son wound up taking it in a direction I wasn’t expecting at the time: http://semicrunchymama.wordpress.com/2010/06/28/garden-color/

• Pingback: Garden Color «

• June 28, 2010 - 10:49 pm | Permalink

What a fun idea – especially given the randomness of seeing what will germinate.

We had a glorious time visiting family and being part of outdoor “work” . . .

• June 28, 2010 - 9:50 pm | Permalink

I love this. So clever!

• June 28, 2010 - 9:28 pm | Permalink

Ha! This is great….and seedy! You must let me know if you decide to take part in the postcard show so I can keep my eye out for yours when it’s on display!

• June 28, 2010 - 9:11 pm | Permalink

Very cool! We’ll have to try that as well. I can’t wait to see how yours turn out. Thank you!

• June 28, 2010 - 8:57 pm | Permalink

I LOVE LOVE this idea! Thanks for sharing and we will definately give it a go. It will be fun watching to see what grows.

We are continuing to explore our local parks as part of our outdoor play: http://littleecofootprints.typepad.com/little_eco_footprints/2010/06/continuing-our-urban-adventure-carrington.html

• June 28, 2010 - 8:31 pm | Permalink

That looks like a fun idea!

I posted an Outdoor Challenge today too.

• June 28, 2010 - 8:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the idea! We are definatly doing this one soon.