nibble, nibble, little mouse- outdoor mondays

I first want to invite challenge participants (and those not participating as well) to join my new Flickr Get Outdoors Challenge group. You can post anytime during the week; occasionally I will share a favorite photo on my blog of the wonderful and fun things that the group is doing out in nature. Click here to join.

We have been outdoors all day everyday lately; except today was rainy, cold and wet, so outdoor time was much shorter. We were busy digging out some of the Queen Anne’s Lace from the herb garden, leaving some behind for the swallowtail larva of course. The little ladies love nibbling Queen Anne’s wild carrot roots (not to be confused with poisonous hemlock, the two look similar). It’s a little tough and chewy with a mild carrot taste.

I’m not sure why Araina loves to get her pic with plants hanging out of her mouth; it seems to be a natural pose for her. Silly girl!

Fauna loves the rose petals. Here’s her purple rose petal tongue.

Outdoor Challenge participant of the week-  Tricia and her family, from  Little Eco Footprints, spent some time “dip-netting” in Australia and found a freshwater shrimp. Very cool find!

If you are participating in Outdoor Challenge Mondays, be sure your blog link is below; if you still want to participate let me know and I’ll add you to the list.

5 orange potatoes, the five of us, little eco footprints, potje thee, silverpebble, the work of childhood, searching simplicity, love living simply, strasilo, semi-handmade, this little kitchen, school time adventures, heirloom seasons, the loving path, a place like this, the magnifying glass, pebbles in the water, chocolate eyes, we are here, rosy-posy, oakbee farm, my year in haiku, time to craft, child in harmony, serendipity, secret water, free flowing ways, se7en, a smile a day, where ada likes to wander, wide open campus, what are we doing today mom?, chasing domestic bliss, dim sum, bagels and crawfish, adventures of a flake, frontier dreams, the snail’s trail, goose and binky, over the crescent moon, it’s a wild life, my world edenwild, the binker files, lil muse lily, foursquare schoolhouse, obaitori, boys in the woods, bumbles and light , wonder in the woods, terrallectualism, semi-crunchy mama, Gwynneth, All Things Beautiful, we are here

Those of you who entered the Nature Swap, I’m working on the pairs and should have those sent out soon.

“That’s all.”

• May 19, 2010 - 6:44 am | Permalink

I love the rose petal tongue :-)

Thanks for including my pic. xx

• May 18, 2010 - 3:55 pm | Permalink

Add me please!

I love the rose petal eating. We will try when our rose finally blooms – only three more months until that happens!!!

• May 18, 2010 - 9:33 am | Permalink

Can’t wait to check out the Flickr group…great idea! Love the pictures of your little ladies. :-)

• Pingback: Outdoor Challenge Mondays {Exploring the Shore} «

• May 18, 2010 - 9:29 am | Permalink

Love your girls’ adventurous spirits, and willingness to try wild foods! I don’t know if I would have as a child…but then again, I was never exposed to anything like that!
    I’ve been interested in foraging, but a bit intimidated and afraid I’d inadvertently pick something that’s not edible!
    I’m participating this week…but I was late and didn’t get my post up until this morning. http://semicrunchymama.wordpress.com/2010/05/18/ocm-exploring-the-shore/

• May 18, 2010 - 9:03 am | Permalink

I love wild carrots and queen anne’s lace. It’s funny how you can forget things until someone reminds you. This is such a great post. I love the outdoor challenge. It has me making sure that we are out everyday. We love the outdoors anyway but it changes when you bring to a place of attention. take care.

• May 18, 2010 - 8:29 am | Permalink
  • May 18, 2010 - 8:28 am | Permalink

Awesome pictures! Love the shrimp picture.

• May 18, 2010 - 8:20 am | Permalink

I love the information about the wild carrots!
    Maybe I can find some here.
    Araina, it’s a natural pose ;)

• May 17, 2010 - 11:58 pm | Permalink

Rose petal tongue – hee hee!!
    Yay for the flickr group!!
    Here’s our Monday post: http://frontierdreams.blogspot.com/2010/05/market-time.html

• May 17, 2010 - 10:44 pm | Permalink

Nice post. We had a great time last week tasting Sweet Cicely and Lamb’s Ear for the first time. Never knew that the latter tasted like bubblegum (well, furry bubblegum).

• May 17, 2010 - 10:25 pm | Permalink

I just found your blog and it is wonderful! Your photography is beautiful!

• May 17, 2010 - 10:12 pm | Permalink

I love Queen Anne’s Lace.

We, unfortunately, have some sort of impostor in our yard. I have a photo of it on my post from yesterday–the weeds in the tinted water. Can you identify it?

We used to dye Queen Anne’s Lace at my grandma’s house, so I do it with my imposter weed. I figure despite being a weed, it’s still pretty. :)

• May 17, 2010 - 9:58 pm | Permalink

I know nothing of “wild carrots!” Fascinating.
    off to learn more about it…

• May 17, 2010 - 9:56 pm | Permalink

We went for a big huge walk today – all around the neighbourhood…but I didn’t bring my camera. Darn it! In all honesty, I totally forgot about the challenge today. Oops! Next week.

Those are two of the cutes girls ever.

• May 17, 2010 - 9:37 pm | Permalink

I love Queen Anne’s Lace. It’s also one of my husband’s favorite. We don’t get it here in Miami but we get to see it when we visit family in West Virginia.

Happy Monday!

Claudia

• May 17, 2010 - 9:36 pm | Permalink

tricia i love the shrimp photo! xx

• May 17, 2010 - 9:32 pm | Permalink

Love their cute poses! I was going to email you and see if you had any Etsy advice for me. Can’t wait to show you what I’m working on, it’s been fun.

Becca

• May 17, 2010 - 9:20 pm | Permalink

Great post! I wonder if my boys would be adventurous enough to try the Queen Anne’s Lace root? Hmmm… I got a post up today for the Outdoor Challenge, so you can add my blog to the list! :) (it’s Musings of a Catholic Mom.) Have a great week!!

• May 17, 2010 - 8:55 pm | Permalink

I always wonder what kind of garden you have. Are there pictures of the whole thing? You must have a tremendous green thumb. Mine is sort of yellow.

I would love to plant loads of flowers and veggies and shrubs and everything, but pocketbook and allergies sometimes over run that idea. It looks amazing though. Goes Fauna eat the rose petals?

• May 17, 2010 - 8:57 pm | Permalink

I just hit submit and then thought of this.

We have these AMAZINg jacaranda trees around here. They bloom this amazing purple colour and when the petals fall from the tree they cover driveways and lawns and streets like purple snow. I am so jealous we do not one of our own and I am forever searching out the big beautiful trees in the neighborhoods. Maybe after I take my daughter to school I will take a picture of the huge big beautiful one right across the street from her school. It’s amazing.

• May 17, 2010 - 7:53 pm | Permalink

Love your post today. We played with rose petals today too and scattered them all over a friends sidewalk – so pretty and pink-

Just got my Outdoor Challenge post up for today.