flower cocoons and outdoor monday

Today I read about the O. avoseta bee that “uses flower petals to make nest wallpaper…. Each nest is a multicolored, textured little cocoon — a papier-mache husk surrounding a single egg, protecting it while it develops into an adult bee;” read the rest of the article and see pictures of the beds here.  What a wonderful nest to be born in!

The Challenge

I couldn’t resist the challenge of making some flower cocoons myself and got the little ladies involved. There was one rule to follow for this challenge- all items to make the cocoons must come from nature, no man-made glue or tape was allowed. So the little ladies picked flower petals and agreed on honey as the glue to stick the petals together, knowing that the bees use nectar, they thought honey was the next best thing! Then we got started making the cocoons.

Fauna found this challenge very easy; I’m guessing  it’s because she used a lot of honey and doesn’t mind sticky fingers!

Araina had a little trouble with this challenge; so she designed a new iris species instead.

Denali helped with clean up. We didn’t know that huskies liked honey!

*Now to go and wash the honey out of my hair. Thanks Fauna! ;)

Outdoor pic for today- the little ladies have been great at tending to the garden daily.

If you are participating in Outdoor Challenge Mondays, be sure your blog link is below; if you still want to participate let me know and I’ll add you to the list.

5 orange potatoes, the five of us, little eco footprints, potje thee, silverpebble, the work of childhood, searching simplicity, love living simply, strasilo, semi-handmade, this little kitchen, school time adventures, heirloom seasons, the loving path, a place like this, the magnifying glass, pebbles in the water, chocolate eyes, we are here, rosy-posy, oakbee farm, my year in haiku, time to craft, child in harmony, serendipity, secret water, free flowing ways, se7en, a smile a day, where ada likes to wander, wide open campus, what are we doing today mom?, chasing domestic bliss, dim sum, bagels and crawfish, adventures of a flake, frontier dreams, the snail’s trail, goose and binky, over the crescent moon, it’s a wild life, my world edenwild, the binker files, lil muse lily, foursquare schoolhouse, obaitori, boys in the woods, bumbles and light , wonder in the woods, terrallectualism, semi-crunchy mama

• June 1, 2010 - 12:01 pm | Permalink

I just found your blog and would love to be included in the outdoor Monday challenge. I will post today! I will keep looking at your lovely blog too. We are dealing with quite a bit of rain here still but get out between storms. :)

• May 16, 2010 - 8:31 pm | Permalink

Denali is beautiful! You ladies should work on that new Iris species, maybe there’s big money in that ;)
    The girls are too cute, I wonder if they like thinning out seedlings as much as mine do?

• May 12, 2010 - 8:34 am | Permalink

Beautiful! I’m getting more and more excited thinking about all the projects Luna and I will be doing when she gets a little older :) .

• May 12, 2010 - 4:53 am | Permalink

I’d love to take up the challenge if im not too late?

• May 12, 2010 - 1:19 am | Permalink

I’m late, but have an outdoor post!

• May 11, 2010 - 11:17 pm | Permalink

Just an FYI: glue can be made from boiling animal hide/hooves. My husband makes “hide glue” from elk and deer hides. It’s supremely stinky but very adhesive!

• May 11, 2010 - 9:35 pm | Permalink

Yay! Another challenge! =) I was just thinking we got out even more when we had a challenge to do. Please sign us up. wonderinthewoods.worpdress.com

• May 11, 2010 - 11:14 am | Permalink

mmm…. What a tasty craft project!

• May 11, 2010 - 9:41 am | Permalink

What a great post. I love honey too. This week has been so incredibly busy with a graduation happening for my daughter. We will be here Monday complete with outdoor photo. Enjoy !

• May 11, 2010 - 9:29 am | Permalink

I had to click over and look at the bee’s nest…how cool is that?! Can’t wait to try this activity, too, when my boy is a wee bit older. ;-)

• May 11, 2010 - 6:12 am | Permalink

The cocoon making looks like tremendous fun and the results look good enough to eat. My boys would eat them, I know! One of them sticks his whole hand in the honey jar so he would love this!

Here’s our outdoor play

• May 11, 2010 - 12:55 am | Permalink

I read that article about the bees–fascinating!

• May 11, 2010 - 12:22 am | Permalink

Ok, you know I love the husky picture ;) I agree you are brave! It all looks so beautiful, though.
    Here’s our Monday post (husky included – hee,hee): http://frontierdreams.blogspot.com/2010/05/for-love-of-oregon.html

• May 10, 2010 - 11:29 pm | Permalink

I just posted about our recent discoveries: http://foursquareschoolhouse.blogspot.com/2010/05/outdoor-monday-ladybugs-such.html

Honey in your hair–UGH!

• May 10, 2010 - 11:20 pm | Permalink

The first picture is just beautiful!!!!

Claudia

• May 10, 2010 - 11:11 pm | Permalink

I saw the article on the bees earlier this past week and thought of you. How cool that you made it into an activity for the girls.

• May 10, 2010 - 10:24 pm | Permalink

love the colors and beautiful photos!

• May 10, 2010 - 10:16 pm | Permalink

Very cute! And what an interesting bee.
    Thanks for hosting the Monday outdoor challenge.
    I did an outdoor post and linked back here to your blog today.

• May 10, 2010 - 10:11 pm | Permalink

Fun activity! Love the brigt colors.

• May 10, 2010 - 9:46 pm | Permalink

What fun you had!
    We’re sick with the fever, sore throat, headache yuckiness today, so no outside time even though they begged to go out. Maybe tomorrow!
    Blessings,
    Catherine :)

• May 10, 2010 - 9:49 pm | Permalink

YUCK! That was my girls 2 weeks ago. Mean old germs, don’t they realize it’s spring and that illness is supposed to be over by now? Get better soon!

• May 10, 2010 - 9:44 pm | Permalink

You are a brave mama! What a cool activity though. :)

• May 10, 2010 - 9:30 pm | Permalink

I caught this about the bees the other day – really interesting species! I love, love, LOVE that you and the girls turned it into a science experiment. Such inspiration to come from nature!

May 10, 2010 - 9:26 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if it is because i know the little ladies so well, but I found this to be your funniest and cutest post yet! I was laughing and hitting Erik shoulder (Poor Erik was trying to watch 24…he we unsuccessful during this time :) Of course Araina would create a new flower! So, funny!!!!

• May 10, 2010 - 9:31 pm | Permalink

I know, their actions in this challenge really are examples of their personalities. Oh, the conversation was hilarious…..Araina was a little “woe is me, I can’t get these to stick” while dipping Stevia leaves in the honey; Fauna was all sticky and making the world around her just as sticky! She got my hair a couple times and Denali is all sticky now too! What a crazy activity!

May 10, 2010 - 10:14 pm | Permalink

Even better! Totally see Fauna with sticky hair and poor denali!!!!