5 trees outdoor challenge game

Have you ever played 5 trees? It’s a hide and seek game where the players hide behind a designated group of trees.

How we play:
-We chose 5 trees that were in the same area and gave each tree a number (“the ash is 1, sugar maple is 2, white pine is 3, ash closest to maple is 4, red pine is 5″).
-The counter counts to 15 or 20 (depends on how fast the counter counts).

-The other players run and hide behind their choice of the 5 designated trees.

-Hide real well, you don’t want the counter to be able to see you!

-The counter finally turns around and calls out a tree number. If someone is behind that called tree, then they are out; players not behind the tree are safe to continue on.

-Counter turns back around and starts the counting again while the other players run to a new tree.

As more players become out, you can decrease the number of trees so they will have fewer trees to run to.

*Thank you sweet Natalie for the photos, you were quite the champ today, I love you! :)

Don’t you just love Fauna’s boots? They are mine, a few sizes to big!

Visit the other Great Outdoor Challenge players-

lisasanders, angelina, phyllis, sarah, christie, jennifer, debbie, dong dong, denise, luisa, joy, stephanie, cori, alex, dawn, kristen, catherine, tricia, becky, christy, ruth, kari, courtney, branflakes, jessica, renee, haiku, brynn, amy, clemencia, sherry, leslie, lise, renee, anet, jenn, marina, amy, ella, marcia, karen, beth, julie, kyndale, kelly, lizzie, eileen, ag, mari-ann, cindy, robin, nicole, debbie, julia, renee, anita, lisa, jenn, montessori, marita, jeannie, hallie, mandy, kangaroo, andrea, joey, carmen, teena, stephinie, gidget, elizabeth, emma, rosina, saminda, melissa, katie, becca, atouria, barbara, ariella, missy

• sarah
    April 7, 2010 - 4:40 pm | Permalink

we are playing along on the great outdoor challenge. today we have already been to the greenway and picked violets for violet jelly. i snapped a photo of my son playing with his friend on our play structure. you can find my photos of us outdoors for the rest of the month here:: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22661510@N08/

• April 7, 2010 - 4:21 pm | Permalink

I posted our first outdoor activity: http://throughtheeyesofchildren.wordpress.com/2010/04/07/a-childs-garden-a-story-of-hope-by-michael-foreman/

we’re outside everyday that the weather allows but I’ll be sure to take pictures!

• April 7, 2010 - 3:10 pm | Permalink

That sounds like a perfect game for my backyard! I’ve never heard of this one before.

• April 7, 2010 - 11:11 am | Permalink

I love all of the trees you have on your property. Sadly we don’t have nearly as many or any half as mature (stupid suburban developments. ;-().

• Christina Pollock
    April 7, 2010 - 11:11 am | Permalink

I will have to try this game with the kids. We will have to go somewhere as the trees in our yard are way too small to hide their bodies :)

• April 7, 2010 - 10:08 am | Permalink

Hi! Can I add my name to the challenge a little late? I so am going to do this!

Becca

• April 7, 2010 - 9:45 am | Permalink

I love this game, and I am sure my boys will too. Thanks for taking the time to explain it. Also, thanks for taking the time to post the list of all who are participating….it is quite a list! It shows that something like this was really needed! Thanks for taking the time to host the Outdoor Challenge!
    -Phyllis

• April 7, 2010 - 10:35 am | Permalink

Thanks Phyllis! Love the links….all should be known who are participating. The list continues to grow………

• April 7, 2010 - 8:06 am | Permalink

this sounds fabulous I plan to post my stuff today and start the challenge.

it will go great with my countdown to earth day 2010 daily post :)

• April 7, 2010 - 6:47 am | Permalink

This game sounds like fun. It will work great with the tree identification that we are working on!

• April 7, 2010 - 1:44 am | Permalink

Hello :) I just happened to stumble across your blog today and we would LOVE to join your outdoor challenge :) I have shared about your blog and posted an outdoor photo for today at:

and I can’t wait to keep sharing with everyone! Your 5 trees game looks like a lot of fun to. We’ll have to try that one very soon :)

• April 7, 2010 - 1:40 am | Permalink

What a cool game! We’ll have to try that.

• April 7, 2010 - 12:51 am | Permalink

What a great game!

• April 7, 2010 - 12:13 am | Permalink

Oh that looks like fun! I haveto addthat button to my blog too :) Thanks!

• April 6, 2010 - 10:42 pm | Permalink

Oh, that looks like so much fun. Love the button, btw. -Debbie

• April 6, 2010 - 10:35 pm | Permalink

That’s a great game. I love it. We will have to play that one.

:) Lisa