a gentleman’s sleeve pine sachet

By the time we were ready to take the Yule tree outside, we had little fir needles all over the place. They still had a delicious aroma and I knew tossing them outside just wouldn’t do. A special fir needle and lavender sachet, using a sleeve from my husband’s old dress shirt, was in the making. You could easily hand-sew this sachet using a backstitch; but we chose to use the sewing machine this time (a goal of mine this year is learning to sew on a machine).

pine needles

You need:
-long sleeve shirt with buttoned cuffs
-2 cups of herbs- we used evergreen needles and lavender but of course you could use any herb mixture for this sachet; I think fir needles, dried orange peel, and cloves will be our next mix
-thread
-needle or sewing machine

To do:
1. Cut a sleeve off  the shirt making it 15 inches long from the bottom of the buttoned cuff.
2. Leave the sleeve right-side out, sew a straight seam close to the cut, making a pocket for the herbs.

cut at 15 inches, then straight stitch a seam

3. Turn the sleeve inside out and unbutton.

turn inside out

4. Stuff with about 2 cups of herbs.

turn inside out, stuff w herbs

4. Sew a straight seam to close up the herb pocket. This is a little tricky because the herbs will want to spill out, decrease the amount of herbs if need be.

stitch straight seam to close pocket

5. Pull the cuff over the herb pillow so the right side of the cuff is showing, then button the cuff.

pull pull remaining cuff over sachet & button

There you have it, a sachet for the gentlemen in your life. Now, Dave just laughed when I told him it was a gentleman’s sachet, and the little ladies took off with them and put them under their pillows. They were pretty sentimental about them because they were made from Dave’s old shirts.

pine and lavender

Another idea using evergreen needles is Julia Daby’s balsam squirrel, directions at  the wonderful Rhythm of the Home online publication. Be sure to visit all the wonderful articles there! Enjoy!

• January 22, 2010 - 11:28 pm | Permalink

great great idea. wish i would have seen this earlier (i’ve been a bit behind catching up!) so i could post it on believing nature. i know most people are done with their trees by now.

• January 14, 2010 - 9:29 pm | Permalink

What a great idea! I bet they smell amazing. I think I’m going to try this next year..and maybe toss in some lavender.

• January 12, 2010 - 11:54 am | Permalink

What a lovely idea…yum, I bet they smell divine!

• January 11, 2010 - 11:13 pm | Permalink

thank you thank you for this. i saw something similar selling for $15 and i thought “i am going to make one myself!” you just saved me from figuring it out!
    sweet project.

• January 11, 2010 - 10:13 pm | Permalink

that is a fantastic idea. I swept up about 3 dustpans worth of pine needles last week. As I tossed them out the door, I got the most beautiful waft of that smell. I wished I had a way to preserve that. Now I do! (next year)

• January 11, 2010 - 7:32 pm | Permalink

Very creative project. I am hosting an art giveaway that you might find interesting. Stop by when you have a chance and take a peek.
    Blessings
    Diane

• January 11, 2010 - 6:36 pm | Permalink

SO sweet.
    I have a friend who makes bean bags out of her husband’s beat up shirts. TOo cool!
    ~Karen

• January 11, 2010 - 6:24 pm | Permalink

Cool idea! I just made another batch of snow cream. This time we threw in some frozen berries with the vanilla. Very yummy, but verrryy cold!

• January 11, 2010 - 3:35 pm | Permalink

So clever! Ours will go right under the girls’ pillow too: Love their daddy! Love their tree! Thanks for the great idea…

• January 11, 2010 - 12:43 pm | Permalink

Really cute—and it must smell delicious!

• January 11, 2010 - 12:01 pm | Permalink

These are brilliant. And perfect for me because Ron likes sleeveless button up shirts in the summer so I have a bunch of sleeves but no uses. Now I have a use. Thanks for sharing!~

• January 16, 2010 - 9:34 am | Permalink

I mentioned, and linked to these here. (Related but unrelated.)

• January 11, 2010 - 11:03 am | Permalink

Yes, what a great idea. They turned out so cute.
    Suzy

• January 11, 2010 - 9:25 am | Permalink

What a great idea! we had so many pine needles, and I was waiting for some inspiration on what to do with them. This is just perfect!

• January 11, 2010 - 8:43 am | Permalink

I recently tackled the sewing machine lesson this past month and boy is it fun. I am a knitter and enjoy the slow pace of it but sometimes it noce to have instant gratification crafting:) Those sachet’s are a great idea!

• FELANSIA
    January 11, 2010 - 3:01 am | Permalink

NICE HEY!!!!!!!

• January 11, 2010 - 1:56 am | Permalink

You ladies are so clever!! I bet they smell wonderful.

• January 11, 2010 - 1:29 am | Permalink

This is such a great idea! A few weeks back I used an old dress shirt to make cushions for a little reading nook for my boys, leaving the shirt pockets on, so they could put toys and what have you in them.

• January 10, 2010 - 11:38 pm | Permalink

Eek! You always have the craftiest ideas using little bits of nature found here and there. I love it! We have this tradition of keeping our xmas tree out back until 4th of July…and then burning it in our firepit…so maybe I’ll have to go out there and collect some needles!

:) Lisa

• January 10, 2010 - 10:01 pm | Permalink

I love this idea! I bet those sachets smell wonderful.

• halfpastafreckle
    January 10, 2010 - 8:14 pm | Permalink

I could have made a shirt or a dress out of that blue shirt!!! But on another note…I can totally picture Dave laughing at this!!!

• January 10, 2010 - 7:56 pm | Permalink

what a really wonderful idea…I love all the repurposing! thanks for your kind words on Heather’s blog…
    blessings~
    elizabeth

• January 10, 2010 - 7:21 pm | Permalink

Great idea Lisa…and since our fir tree is propped up in a snow bank in the back yard…this shouldn’t be too hard. (except for the sewing part.) :)

• January 10, 2010 - 6:38 pm | Permalink

Aww, I love this idea. And my Christmas tree is still up and getting more fragrant by the day. Hmmm…. Thanks so much, I’ll be linking.

• January 10, 2010 - 6:36 pm | Permalink

What a clever way to use up old shirt sleeves and pine needles. I wouldn’t have thought of the double pocket idea.