newspaper chain countdown

There are so many gorgeous advent calendars out there and oh, how I wish I could put my creative energy into one this year; but this kind of project needs to be put aside for another time. The little ladies still love the count down aspect and Araina keeps pestering me with, “how many more days?” ………”go check the calendar Araina.” This happens daily so today we put together the good ol’ traditional paper link countdown. Ours is more of a countdown to the winter solstice, so we used white, silver and blue as our colors. We used scraps of parchment paper, silver plant foil (the foil wrapped around poinsettias) and scrap construction paper; then cut newspaper links as the bulk of the chain.

ad. count

advent calendar

Two chains were made for two little ladies so they each can rip a link away daily. Now it’s my turn to ask Araina, “how many more days?” (which I don’t ask often due to the many gifts I STILL have to make).

solstice countdown

• December 15, 2009 - 4:31 pm | Permalink

This is a great idea! I was feeling the same way–no energy for anything fancy but my 5 year old just said, “I feel like everyday is going to be Christmas and I never know which one!!!!”

Time to break out the chain.

• December 9, 2009 - 5:31 am | Permalink

what a great idea!

• December 9, 2009 - 2:27 am | Permalink

Sometimes simple is definitely best!

• December 8, 2009 - 2:45 pm | Permalink

Great idea!

I haven’t been over to your little space lately b/c I’ve been so consumed with packing. I am thrilled to see that you won the homeschool blog award! Yeah!

• December 8, 2009 - 9:49 am | Permalink

This is what we did last year… There is only so much time and it still works wonderfully.

• December 8, 2009 - 3:57 am | Permalink

Every time I come to leave a comment, someone distracts me!! So, here I am..I love the chain idea. We have the advent calendars but the chain idea is so much more visual and fun. Love it. Maybe we can still do it for this year?? Why not! xo Kyndale

• December 7, 2009 - 9:39 pm | Permalink

Paper chains are great for counting down so many things! Seeing this post brings back many fond memories. :-)

• December 7, 2009 - 7:19 pm | Permalink

oh my goodness, i am with marina. haven’t done one here, either and i love this eco friendly, simple reminder of how to count down to christmas!
    thank you! i didn’t know you might be moving?! wow.

• Jess
    December 7, 2009 - 3:40 pm | Permalink

Adorable! You have great ideas!

You haven’t updated on your possible move to Georgia. Is it still a “go”?

• December 7, 2009 - 4:34 pm | Permalink

As of today, it is still a go. Dave is looking for other opportunities around here, but no dice so far. Thanks for asking Jess.

• December 7, 2009 - 2:45 pm | Permalink

I LOVE this!

…and can I admit that I love the fact that I am not the only one who did not make an Advent calendar either?

My boys will absolutely love the idea of ripping something all in the name of holiday cheer… thank you for the idea!

• December 7, 2009 - 12:54 pm | Permalink

I haven’t made a paper chain yet this year, life got in the way. I had been thinking it was too late, however… Now I am thinking its NOT too late, and I should use news print. Hmm, I am so glad I come here!

Thank you!

• December 7, 2009 - 12:08 pm | Permalink

I have fond memories of making chains like this one when I was a young girl….every morning tearing of a chain….I was so excited to see it get shorter and shorter! We have a LEGO advent calendar over here and it is thrilling for my boy to open each day…I am going to add this to my ideas list for next year in the hopes that I remember to add it to our must do list :)

• December 7, 2009 - 9:51 am | Permalink

Ah, yes, the paper chain countdown has long lived as one of my boys’ favorite advent activities. Simple, good for toddler counting, and completely takes mama out of the making-it mix (which can be a welcome break this time of year:))….

• December 7, 2009 - 8:46 am | Permalink

I feel like I still need to make so many more things before christmas gets here too. Knitting takes the longest, sewing projects I can tackle in a day, given I have some support with the kiddos. It is kind of a bit tricky when making suprises for the kids…when they are always around.

:) Lisa

• December 6, 2009 - 11:53 pm | Permalink

What a wonderful idea!

• December 6, 2009 - 11:44 pm | Permalink

Hello Lisa,
    That’s a great idea! And probably very exciting for your little ladies to remove one paper chain link every day. Our countdown is for the solstice as well.
    I hope you had a nice weekend!
    Sara

• December 6, 2009 - 11:38 pm | Permalink

Great idea! I like the way you re-used a variety of paper!

• December 6, 2009 - 11:25 pm | Permalink

what a lovely idea, very simple, but a perfect way for little ones to count down, thanks for sharing!!

• December 6, 2009 - 9:32 pm | Permalink

We often employ the good old paper chain. It works for Halloween and New Year’s too. We still have to sort out how much more we need to get, make and order. Ahhhh, the “joy” of the holidays.

• December 6, 2009 - 8:59 pm | Permalink

Very cute! I love the mixture of silver, newspaper, and blue links. :)

• December 6, 2009 - 6:38 pm | Permalink

These traditional paper chains are the best! We still have some gifts to make, too. :)

• December 6, 2009 - 4:41 pm | Permalink

What a great idea. And looks lovely. My eldest Maia started to do that at school last week but she couldn’t quite explain the purpose of it. Now I know and will purse here too.

December 6, 2009 - 3:16 pm | Permalink

Don’t worry I will call you daily and ask you how many more days :)

• December 6, 2009 - 2:55 pm | Permalink

I have some gifts to make as well. It is 3 PM and I am still wearing pajamas, so you can see how well my day is going. Although, today I’ve cleaned Benjamin’s room, organized his toys (realized we have little room for the many more he will receive this month) and I’ve decluttered my kitchen cabinets…so it’s not like I’m sitting around being a bump on a “yule” log. ;)