milkweed mice

Three blind mice?

milkweed pod mice

Hardly! Can you tell what they were made from? Here’s a hint- fluffy and soft, little ones (and big ones) like to make wishes on them……

milkweed seed

Yep, milkweed pods! These were so easy to make! We pulled the dry pods from the plants; pull carefully with the stem intact, it makes the perfect mouse tail! The pods should already be naturally split in half to make the little mouse body. We didn’t take the pods with a lot of seeds because we want more milkweed in our field, we’ll harvest those after the seeds are gone, or you could just blow the seeds away in the breeze of course.

milkweed mouse

The little ladies used Sharpie markers to draw the eyes, ears and pink noses. That’s it! Araina even drew little hearts on the inside of the pods. We now have many little mice scampering about……….

mice

Good thing our mighty hunter sleeps a lot!

pixie

We will probably hang these cuties on our Yule tree in December, but right now they are very fun little natural toys!

• November 20, 2009 - 6:23 pm | Permalink

They’re so sweet and pretty real looking!

• November 20, 2009 - 5:06 pm | Permalink

I love this idea. You make me wish I had little ones (children) at home. But mine are grown up and on their own. I will be looking to you if I ever have grandchildren.

• November 20, 2009 - 11:46 am | Permalink

Too sweet!
    Love D

• November 20, 2009 - 10:38 am | Permalink

Those really do look like real mice! I don’t think milkweed grows here.

• November 19, 2009 - 9:30 pm | Permalink

Those are almost too real-looking!

• November 19, 2009 - 12:55 pm | Permalink

oh, i am in love with these milkweed mice, yay lisa!!!

• November 19, 2009 - 8:02 am | Permalink

Adorable! Now I am wishing I had picked those milkweed pods at the river… sigh…

• November 18, 2009 - 8:30 pm | Permalink

These little mice are absolutely enchanting! And very, very mouselike! Beth

• November 18, 2009 - 2:39 pm | Permalink

I LOVE them! Just yesterday I was deseeding some milkweed. I’m planning a natural wildflower rain garden for our house because we have no gutters. I had the fluff floating everywhere! Every time I moved, put something down, breathed, more would lift up and float. This was definitely not an inside project and I’ll have to finish it later today. Outside. :P

• November 18, 2009 - 3:07 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodness Emily, I know exactly what you mean! You should see my house after the girls bring in a milkweed pod full of seeds! Love that you are doing a rain garden, I helped put one together at the former preschool I worked for 2 years ago.

• November 18, 2009 - 12:10 pm | Permalink

Lisa–Oh sad news! My lamb’s ear bows are curling up! Now perhaps they will still be pretty when dried…but right now the edges of the long strands are curling up!

If you make these…perhaps you should put something on the long strands to essentially “press” them. Let me know how yours turn out–I might try to make more & “press” them…oh drat!

• November 18, 2009 - 10:09 am | Permalink

Oh my, how cute!

• November 18, 2009 - 10:01 am | Permalink

Those are so sweet!

• November 18, 2009 - 9:05 am | Permalink

How cute is that! :) Squeak, squeak!

• November 18, 2009 - 7:32 am | Permalink

Oh so cute mice you made! I’ve seen a lot of milkweed on american blogs, and we haven’t got any milkweed here. Annoying ;) – Perhaps I should buy some seeds if that’s possible, and try if they could grow in my garden…

• November 18, 2009 - 9:45 am | Permalink

I know the Eastern part of the USA have milkweed, don’t know about the West. It’s great for the Monarch butterflies!

• November 18, 2009 - 12:12 am | Permalink

Wow, at first glance they almost look like the real thing! Way to get crafty :D
    Love the pic of kitty sleeping…too cute-lol!

• November 17, 2009 - 11:41 pm | Permalink

oh my goodness! those are so cute! i wish we had milkweed here. i would make some for my mother-in-law’s cat for christmas!

lisa, i replied to your zipper question on my blog in more detail than here (check out amy karol’s bend the rules sewing), but in short, i think some zippers are probably brutal, but i think in general, that might be a bad rumor. i am an intermediate sewer and so far so good. try it!

• November 17, 2009 - 11:29 pm | Permalink

I had no idea what they were made from until you said. They looks so great!

• November 17, 2009 - 9:34 pm | Permalink

Love them…and love milkweed pods. My mom used to make tiny babies and place them, sleeping, in milkweed pods. I think she still has some hanging on the tree each year!

• November 17, 2009 - 8:58 pm | Permalink

I love how the milkweed plant has been quite a focus of attention in the blog nature lover’s world. Iseriously LOVE that plant! It is awesome that you are helping them grow and grow and grow. How I would love to have tons of these plants right in my backyard! I’m coming to visit! Your girls must have a blast going out and blowing milkweed seeds all over the place.

• November 17, 2009 - 8:39 pm | Permalink

How creative – would have never thought of something like this!

• Anet
    November 17, 2009 - 7:42 pm | Permalink

Now this is just too cute!

• November 17, 2009 - 6:23 pm | Permalink

Your hunter looks very motivated:)

We have one cross-eyed guy who does a find job of catching the little critters that come into the house, and a princess who would never muss her paws with vermin.

• November 17, 2009 - 6:34 pm | Permalink

love the different personalities of cat. this one (pixie) hasn’t caught one yet….our male cat is the mighty hunter in the house!

• November 17, 2009 - 6:06 pm | Permalink

Around our house in Hungary, there are thousands!
    By Christmas we are there again. Then we have a tree full of mice!
    Luckily the cats stay home in the Netherlands;)

• Jane
    November 17, 2009 - 5:47 pm | Permalink

those are so cute!

• November 17, 2009 - 5:47 pm | Permalink

I don’t think I’ve ever seen milk weed around here. I’ll have to ask around. This would be the perfect project for us. We just made a pumpkin like the one from the story Mousekin’s Golden House and we need a mouse! : )

You are so creative – I wish we could hang out so some of it could rub off on me! Reading your blog is the next best thing. Have a great day!

• Debbie
    November 17, 2009 - 5:38 pm | Permalink

Lovely. I love milkweed. We have stuffed glass ornaments as well with the fluffy stuff. They look gorgeous on the tree. Happy Trimming! :)

• November 17, 2009 - 5:35 pm | Permalink

Wow! These look great! I never would have guessed what they were made from.

• November 17, 2009 - 5:21 pm | Permalink

those are amazing!

• November 17, 2009 - 5:14 pm | Permalink

Oh, I love these…and your vase full of seeds. As a child, I thought the full pods, held stem side up, looked like parrots, and then peeled, looked like fish (all the brown seeds were scales). As an adult, I’ve enjoyed stuffing empty glass ornaments with the seeds–the oils on them reflect lights on the Christmas tree. A favorite of mine, too.

• November 17, 2009 - 5:06 pm | Permalink

These are adorable! And what a great use of material!!

November 17, 2009 - 4:56 pm | Permalink

so, so, sooooo cute!!! you know one of those could be a rat and look really cute on my tree :)

• November 17, 2009 - 5:19 pm | Permalink

Robin, I read your comment to Araina and she said, in that low voice of hers, “Oh dear, of course she does!”

• November 17, 2009 - 4:51 pm | Permalink

Elizabeth was looking over my shoulder as I read this and said “ooh, look, fairy seeds!” which is what she’s called milkweed seeds/silks forever. She totally wants to try making these mice. :)

• November 17, 2009 - 4:55 pm | Permalink

Love this Joy…..knowing how you feel about milkweed. ;)

• November 17, 2009 - 8:12 pm | Permalink

Every autumn she makes a pilgrimage to the top of the play structure with every milkweed pod she can find to spread the “fairy seeds”. I have to say that this year, thanks to you, I looked on this practice much more fondly than I have in years past. ;)

• November 17, 2009 - 4:47 pm | Permalink