Magical Scavenger Hunt

We started off Fauna’s birthday today with a magical scavenger hunt (inspired by Magic Onions). Fauna found a note today that needed decoding by painting watercolors over magical clues (messages written by white crayon on white paper;  paint over the paper using watercolors and the clues magically appear).

IMG_3101

Each clue was hung in a tree with a little treasure to be found around the clue.

IMG_3086

Fauna found the treasure,  cut the next clue down and painted over the paper to discover where the next treasure was hidden.

IMG_3079

Fauna had a total of 8 treasures to be found. She LOVED every minute of this. Araina helped me set it up and enjoyed watching Fauna hunt and decipher the clues.

IMG_3110

Her new found treasures have special sentimental value. When I was a kid I collected all kinds of “little animals” and kept them in a printer’s box on my bedroom wall. I loved unicorns around the age of 8 (so does Fauna) and found this to be the appropriate time to pass the unicorns down to her.  I also gave her the printer’s box to display them on her wall. There are still many little animals to pass on to my girls……plenty for future treasure hunts!

IMG_3107

Now off to make a cake then go see Harry Potter with my little lady!

*By the way, as soon as I took the camera out this morning Fauna looked at me and said, “Oh, I need to run upstairs and put my hair up first!” It’s starting already……….

• Pingback: Green Shot: Magical Letters, Custom Kindy Bags & Star Wars Puppets

• August 29, 2009 - 4:39 pm | Permalink

Best birthday ever! I love the secret message idea. I’ll be linking.

• Dayna
    August 29, 2009 - 3:55 pm | Permalink

Oh, my goodness….I saw the unicorn collection and I had to comment. I had a porcelain unicorn collection as a child and I had the exact same ones! Oh, it brings back memories. I wish I still had them!

Happy birthday, Fauna!

• August 29, 2009 - 8:48 am | Permalink

I love this idea. It’s so sweet!

• August 28, 2009 - 7:24 am | Permalink

what a majical day- birthday blessings little lady

• August 28, 2009 - 5:54 am | Permalink

Happy 8th Birthday Fauna! What a magical day!

• August 27, 2009 - 12:47 pm | Permalink

Sweet serendipity!!

• August 27, 2009 - 11:46 am | Permalink

Wonderful sweet fun! A great way to spend the day.

• August 27, 2009 - 11:35 am | Permalink

How beautiful. Can you please adopt me? My birthday is coming up in about 2.5 weeks. I’ll totally go on a treasure hunt with you and find magical clues. I can pretend to be 8. My daughter is 8. I know exactly how to behave. And I promise to be good.

• August 27, 2009 - 10:07 am | Permalink

Oh my Gosh… what a stunning idea!! She must have had such fun… with that precious magical feeling inside. Happy 8th Birthday to your Little Lady. Bet you can’t believe she’s 8!
    And thanks for the link love!
    Blessings and magic.

• August 27, 2009 - 8:57 am | Permalink

I love this idea! The unicorns are so pretty. I hope Fauna had a lovely day.

• August 27, 2009 - 6:36 am | Permalink

A very happy (belated) birthday to Fauna!! Looks like she had a great time =) I am especially impressed that Araina helped to set up the whole thing und watched without envy, very sweet.

The treasures are awesome, I too love unicorns. I have them as figurines, on t-shirts, on stockings… *g* Great idea for a birthday, I will keep it in mind for…sometime in the future.

• August 27, 2009 - 5:30 am | Permalink

Ah, treasure hunting is a favourite around here too! My 11 yo often gets inspired to make treasure hunts for her siblings. Often the treasure’s just a little drawing or a pretty pebble, but they’re thrilled as if it was a chest filled with gold.

• August 26, 2009 - 11:49 pm | Permalink

What a beautiful way to celebrate Fauna’s special day! I love that you have such special treasures to hand down. Lovely. Simply lovely.

• August 26, 2009 - 11:35 pm | Permalink

I really like your first photo, it is so beautiful Lisa!
    what a sweet and magical scavenger hunt, I know three little ones at my house who would love this idea : )

• August 26, 2009 - 11:29 pm | Permalink

Sounds like so much fun! I loved (and still love) horses and have quite a collection of them. I’m also a huge Harry Potter fan and loved the new movie (although the books are much better). Luna is my favorite character! I’ve been her for halloween and even have radish earrings and a butterbeer cork necklace.

• August 26, 2009 - 10:49 pm | Permalink

Awww…so sweet! What a great mama you are, making such lovely memories for your girls. Happy Birthday to you both! xoxo MaryLea

• August 26, 2009 - 10:05 pm | Permalink

So sweet!

I worry so much that I won’t have the time to do special things like this during the next year of treatments.

I should try to plan everything now so I can simply follow through with it (with little preparation).

My, oh my…this disease is really getting in the way of our fun! :(

• August 26, 2009 - 7:50 pm | Permalink

So sweet! What a nice way to pass on little things that were special to you.

Happy Birthday to your little one, Happy Birth Day to you!

• August 26, 2009 - 6:14 pm | Permalink

What a sweet birthday for your princess! And what a lovely gift you gave her.

• August 26, 2009 - 4:59 pm | Permalink

How fun!
    I love scavenger hunts. I think about doing one alot, but I never make it happen! :/

:) Happy, happy, happy birthday!!

• August 26, 2009 - 4:41 pm | Permalink

So lovely.
    What beautiful, special day.

• August 26, 2009 - 4:25 pm | Permalink

What fun! My youngest is celebrating her birthday today too :)

• August 26, 2009 - 4:12 pm | Permalink

Happiest of birthdays to Miss 8 year old Fauna. 8 is such a magical age, yet borders on growing up as well. Have a wonderful day celebrating your big girl – and BIG congrats to you, assuming this was the day you became a mother!

Be Well-

Jill

• nyree
    August 26, 2009 - 4:11 pm | Permalink

What a fantastic 8th birthday! Beats a party anyday! Must try to be more creative, still time till my daughter’s 5th birthday in September!

• August 26, 2009 - 3:50 pm | Permalink

that looks like so much fun!

• August 26, 2009 - 3:29 pm | Permalink

What a great idea for a birthday!
    I love reading about your ladies enthusiasm for the world around.

• Kat
    August 26, 2009 - 3:21 pm | Permalink

wow, my creature really suits me! grumpy with curly thingies!

• Kat
    August 26, 2009 - 3:21 pm | Permalink

So your daughter! I remember the young lady who wouldn’t talk on the phone to boys until her hair was perfect. Love the hunt!

• August 26, 2009 - 3:20 pm | Permalink

So very sweet. Maybe I should make Cor work for her prizes this year. LOL. We’ve done many a scavenger hunts but always with friends. It might be fun to make her work for them this year.

Be sweet,