Easy Dandelion Cookies

Dandelion flowers, as well as the greens, are extremely nutritious and have none of the bitterness of dandelion leaves if you pinch off the green bracts at the base of the flower cluster. Visit Wildman Steve Brill to learn all about the nutritional facts of dandelions (and other wild edibles).

Tips for Removing Florets:

For this recipe you need to remove the florets from their base. Hold the florets with one hand and pinch the green flower base very hard with the other, give a little twist and that should do it.

Dandelion Flower Cookies

1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup unbleached flour
1 cup dry oatmeal
1/2 cup dandelion florets

Preheat oven to 375°F. Blend oil and honey and beat in the two eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour, oatmeal and dandelion florets. Drop the batter by teaspoonfuls onto a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes. Let cool and eat. Yum and so easy to make!

For more dandelion goodness visit dandelion syrup, dandelion prints and beautiful pollinators.

• May 13, 2010 - 1:57 pm | Permalink

Hi, We made these cookies with wheat free flour and they turned out great!
    Thanks for sharing x

• May 11, 2010 - 2:54 am | Permalink

My girls are going to LOVE this recipe! We’ve been making dandelion crowns every single day since they popped up, so they’re going to be excited to try something new!
    Can’t wait! Thank you for the recipe. :-)

• Pingback: Earth Day – Get Outdoors Challenge « The Loving Path

• April 21, 2010 - 1:28 pm | Permalink

i love it so much. araina

• Pingback: The Loving Path

• Misty
    April 20, 2010 - 9:11 pm | Permalink

I made these cookies today with my two children. WOW, they were delicious. I made 16 and between my husband and son alone, 10 were quickly consumed. We are gluten free so I used a mix of flours that I previously made for baked goods. I added 1/4 teaspoon of xantham gum. There were were no rolled oats in the house, so I used a breakfast cereal mix of oatmeal and several different dried fruits. They turned out rather chewy, not dry or crumbly at all. Thanks for the beautiful recipe. I LOVE YOUR BLOG

• April 20, 2010 - 9:15 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much Misty! I’m so glad you were able to modify the recipe to suit your needs. I agree they are yummy!

• Pingback: Dandelions, Toads and Tents…Oh My! -Get Outdoors Challenge – Day 11 « The Loving Path

• Pingback: dandelion goddess- outdoor challenge day 5 | 5 Orange Potatoes

• my3sons
    May 21, 2009 - 6:05 am | Permalink

We loved making dandelion cookies. My boys had so much fun opening the flowers.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

• Anonymous
    May 14, 2009 - 12:06 am | Permalink

Lisa, I love how you live with your little girls. You’re building precious memories for them to carry with them all their lives. Elsie from Australia

• SkylarKD
    May 13, 2009 - 1:25 pm | Permalink

I will have to try this without telling Hubby before he eats a cookie!

• Cinnamon Swirl
    May 4, 2009 - 3:40 pm | Permalink

That’s just torture! I so want to make some of these but the weather in England is that horrible at the moment that the dandelions didn’t even open today. Can’t wait for the sun to come out so I can make some of those cookies.

By the way, do you have any idea how to dry dandelion flowers to make some tea? I mean wouldn’t they just turn into little parachutes? Do you think microwaving will work?

• Cheryl
    May 4, 2009 - 4:33 am | Permalink

The cookies look delicious!! What a wonderful recipe!!

• dottyspots
    May 4, 2009 - 4:29 am | Permalink

Thank you for all the dandelion ideas! I’m aware of various uses for dandelions (apart from eating them), but it’s always good to have more (we have loads in our garden).

• Lisa
    May 3, 2009 - 6:42 pm | Permalink

Joy, they are all over our yard! The neighbors love us. ;)

• Joy
    May 3, 2009 - 6:35 pm | Permalink

Yum! I’ll bet my kids would LOVE to try this. Where do you find all these dandelions??

• MODsquad
    May 3, 2009 - 2:57 pm | Permalink

Oh, wow!! I saw your post on dandelion syrup that I want to try and now these cookies! Who knew these pesky things could be so tasty!

• Annie
    May 3, 2009 - 10:32 am | Permalink

Man, I am so jealous of all you!! I can’t find man dandelions around our parts. The ones we do have are in peoples yards that get mowed :( I am definately going to have to look harder!!

I want to try the syrup and cookies!! I think they sound so yummy!

• Kelly
    May 3, 2009 - 8:46 am | Permalink

Lisa, I am loving all your dandelion posts. Keep on going!! We are going to make dandelion syrup and definitely these yummy cookies. We ahve so, so many dendelions on this organic farm. Yesterday I was picking loads for natural dyeing. The joy of wild foods. Our elderflowers are jsut opening so we shall love that too!

• Lisa
    May 3, 2009 - 8:24 am | Permalink

HA! I meant pesticide FREE dandies….

• bigbooty
    May 3, 2009 - 6:28 am | Permalink

These look great! And I love Wildman Steve Brill – I’ve been borrowing his book for a while now and just gave it back and dontcha know I was looking for it the other day…must get my own copy.
    We had some chickweed and violet salad for May Day – these will be fun to try!
    Debbie

• Jane
    May 3, 2009 - 6:00 am | Permalink

Love the focus on dandelions-so many great ideas. I just worry about pesticides from other neighbors’ yards. But I’m sure I can find some! Thank you.

• Lisa
    May 2, 2009 - 11:07 pm | Permalink

So glad to have gotten some of you to look at dandelions in a new light.

I so wish I could ship some of our pesticide dandies to those in need…we have SO many! Plenty to share!

• Dawn
    May 2, 2009 - 9:41 pm | Permalink

This sounds good. I think all your dandelion posts have definitely been influencing me. ;) I’ve viewed the dandelions in my yard in a whole new light lately.

• Alisha
    May 2, 2009 - 7:41 pm | Permalink

I had no idea you could even eat dandelions, let alone make syrup and cookies with them! How much fun!

• Erin
    May 2, 2009 - 5:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for posting this recipe. We have soo many dandelions in our yard. We’ll have fun trying it out!
    Peace.

• Mom and Kiddo
    May 2, 2009 - 5:50 pm | Permalink

I am fascinated by all your dandelion ideas. You have certainly raised this flower to new heights for me.

• Tan Family
    May 2, 2009 - 5:01 pm | Permalink

These are wonderful! We’ve juiced the leaves and made oils with the flowers, but never cookies. It’s so nice to see this beautiful “weed” treated with love and happiness!

• Rachel@oneprettything.com
    May 2, 2009 - 2:49 pm | Permalink

Oh how cool! I love this idea, I’ll be linking. Last year I tried my hand at making dandelion wine. It was so much fun!

• Artistmama
    May 2, 2009 - 2:35 pm | Permalink

Yum! Wish we had more dandelions here- I have a small sandpit for a yard. LOL

• dongdong
    May 2, 2009 - 2:21 pm | Permalink

wow, you have so many amazing ideas, Lisa! Now if I can just find some dandelions that are safe and not been sprayed.

• sunnymama
    May 2, 2009 - 2:19 pm | Permalink

What a wonderful idea, and we have no shortage of ingredients here! Thanks for the recipe :)

• Amanda
    May 2, 2009 - 2:16 pm | Permalink

I love that you’re featuring dandelion recipes and am totally going to try these cookies. My hubby is a little wary of eating weeds, though, so I usually have to sneak them in….He never notices danelion greens chopped in potato salad or in spaghetti sauce!